Cologna Paese is located on the right bank of the Tordino River, overlooking the valley where, in the early 19th century, some Iron Age tombs and a Roman tombstone with an inscription were discovered.
The name derives from the ancient Roman colonies (coloniae) founded in the countryside near Castrum Novum, a maritime center of great importance at the time. Today, the hamlet still preserves its characteristic rural aspect and offers incredible landscapes to behold.
In the center of Cologna Paese stands the Church of San Nicola Vescovo, a place of worship that bears witness to the historical and spiritual heritage of this community.
The church, dating back to the seventeenth century, has an imposing architectural structure with a large central nave and two smaller side naves, divided by rounded arches supported by quadrangular base columns. One of the most interesting elements inside is the plaque with the Cross of Indulgences granted by Pope Leo XIII in 1901, a symbol of the generosity and attention of the Church towards the community. The loft above the entrance hosts the “chorus” and a beautiful pipe organ that contributes to creating an atmosphere of deep spirituality during liturgical celebrations and musical events.